Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Are You... Reminiscing?

I've been thinking about a lot of this lately...well, actually I've been thinking a lot about one particular person. I miss him...I don't miss all of him, but there are certain things about him that I miss. I'm usually not like this when it comes to ex boyfriends, because in the past...all of my relationships have ended on a bad note. Unfaithfulness...mental and emotional abuse...but with my last ex boyfriend, we ended things peacefully and with an understanding of it's meant to be...it'll be. That makes a breakup harder...when no one has done anything wrong and you got along great but things like distance and time just got in the way. How do you forget about someone that you had a good relationship with. I think it would have been better to end it with "I hate you" than to end it with "I'll always care about you" because it makes it so much harder to try and move on. 
He was the first guy really that was so good to me. He cared about what I had to say...he not only talked, but he listened. He owned his own restaurant, he was mature, responsible and stable. Everything that was lacking in my past relationships...he possessed. The only problem was that I work 6 days a week. He worked 7 days a week and there was 80 miles in between our towns. It's hard maintaining a "weekend relationship". The time I spent with him was precious though. It's the little things that I remember most....walking into his house...he would turn on my favorite show or movie, pour me a glass of wine, turn on the fireplace and then he would go into the kitchen and he would cook for me while I watched him as I sat behind the counter and we would just talk about how our week was. What we were looking forward too...what the future looked like. He would set the table and feed me first. Literally...bite by bite and only when I was done with my food would he eat. He always wanted to make sure I was taken care of first. To him, I came first and he was second. I had never experienced that before. I went from being called "useless", "worthless", "stupid" to being called "beautiful", "special", "smart" and "needed". It was totally unfamiliar territory for me and I didn't know how to handle it, but he always made me feel comfortable. Never rushed me into anything...he was kind and he was patient.
I remember the first time I met his parents. I was so worried that they wouldn't approve of me because he always said that while his parents were open-minded, they had always intended on him marrying a traditional Chinese woman. I'm not Asian of any sort so I was extremely scared. He made me feel at ease and his parents and sister was wonderful to me. I worried for nothing. In the end, they took me in and treated me like their daughter. I was happy...extremely happy. Shopping trips with his mom and his sister...talks with his dad about growing up in China. It was all so very fascinating to me. The more I got to know them...the more I loved them. 
The weekends were my favorite days of the week...something to look forward too. Dinner dates, walks in the park, eating ice cream on the bench in front of his restaurant, the hugs, the talks. Those were the best 3 years of my adult life...so far. I don't know what the future holds for us or where and when we'll meet again, but I'll be sure to always remind him that he was the one who showed be what life is supposed to be like. What being loved is supposed to feel like and for that....I'm forever grateful....
"Please don't go too far away...Please don't go where I can't see you. I may be a fool but.....I can't forget you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment